Friday 22 November 2013

Anxious Issues: Getting out and about

Hello my lovelies!

This is the first of my 'Anxious Issues' series which I will hopefully be posting once a week like the 'Freshers' series. In this first blog I want to tackle an issue that I have struggled with and I know many other sufferers do too. 
It's a vicious cycle but you don't have to deal with it alone.

Leaving the house can be hard when you have anxiety, there's a paranoia that nags in the back of your mind. For some it's simply a self-conscious thing, for others it can be a whole lot scarier, and for some it's completely unknown (like me). It can be difficult to go out clubbing, to lectures and even just to get the local newspaper so many sufferers like to hole themselves up in their rooms and sink in to a very low mood which can trigger both depression and anxiety in their extremes. I refuse to be one of those and if you can relate to such a situation then so should you. 

It can be better to head out and about with a friend, at least then you have somebody to help you if you find yourself having a severe anxiety attack. I always say start off small and work your way up, just go for a short walk round the block and gradually build it up to a longer walk, maybe in to the town center where you can treat yourself with some retail therapy. Eventually you'll realise that there is very little to worry about. 

If you are out and about and can feel yourself getting to the point of an attack then find somewhere clear of people and sit down. Take a deep breath and close your eyes. Think about the things that make you happy and comfortable and try your very best to ignore everything going on around you. If you're with someone then have them pre-prepared with the best way to deal with you. Some people are more comfortable being left totally alone so you may ask them to make sure no-one comes near you, others may prefer if their friend is there to hold their hand or give them a hug. Only you know the best way to deal with your anxiety attacks and if you do feel uncomfortable do not be scared to tell whoever you're with.


'But what about if I'm self-conscious?'

Everybody has body issues. You have to learn to accept yourself and if you really feel self conscious then find a style to suit you that you feel comfortable in. I like to wear baggy clothes so that I blend in, some girls prefer tight skimpy clothes but will wear a lot of make up because they don't want the real them on show, some guys wear sports gear all the time because they don't want to have to think about what outfits will look best. Yes, people judge, it's only natural and it will probably always be that way so you just have to find the style that you feel comfortable in both mentally and physically. 

Earlier this year I found Zoella's blog and Youtube channel where I watched her video all about dealing with anxiety and how she has decided to say yes to more things and I completely commend her approach. Do say yes to going shopping with your friends, do say yes to leaving the house even if it's just for a short walk. It will get better the more you go out. I find that my anxiety is worse when I'm alone and I will often have panic attacks when walking by myself so I tried to always have someone with me and gradually, over time, I now find that simple daily tasks such as walking around campus and the local town are no issue for me any more. Sure, I still get paranoid and every now and then I will have a small panic attack, but they're only small and they are easy to deal with. I just want you to follow her advice, say yes to more things, take more risks and break out of your shell. 

You don't have to live on the internet, you just have to believe that there is so much more out there and that you have the strength to handle it.

Love you all

T xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment